Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Foliage Follow-up April 2013

Because Spring is more than just blooms, I am joining Pam at Digging in Foliage Follow-up. There are so many different colors in foliage this time of year.  New shoots change over time as they mature.  Here are some of my favorites from my gardens.

Goldflame spirea as it began to leaf out. 


 You can sure tell where it got its name.
That was 10 days ago and below is NOW!  WOW!







 Goldmound spirea is almost yellow.  It seems to glow when the sun spotlights it.


While looking at the new growth tips on the Anthony Waterer spirea, I came across this garden visitor.  I have really been seeing a lot of ladybugs this spring, especially on the spireas.

 As the yellow flowers fade on the epimedium, the new foliage begins to grow.  

 Pestemon husker red - I found 3 of these on clearance last fall. I was on the lookout for them after having seen pictures on several garden blogs.  The foliage is great!

 The bengal tiger cannas are emerging. 

 Red knockout rose has stunning red and green foliage.

The foliage star in my garden in April is the red tipped photinia.

Enjoy your spring and the moderate temperatures.  Hope you all are spending lots of time outdoors!  You don't have to work in a garden to observe and enjoy nature.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Beth....your foliage is a show stopper! It's just amazing how quickly plants are growing in this warm weather (90 degrees here today...a little warm for mid-April). I have several Goldmounds and they really are pretty. The foliage on that Red Knockout Rose is wonderful...so colorful. Now that you have a few Husker Reds, they will self-seed all over the place. I have so many coming up, even in my paths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, I agree - a little too warm; it sure makes the garden take off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors!
    I keep looking for my Cannas, but no sign of them yet.
    Happy Gardening!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, I'm surprised your cannas aren't up yet, but I'm sure they will be soon. I especially love my Bengal Tigers - for the foliage and the flower.

      Delete
  4. That spirea is really a stunner. Thanks for joining in for Foliage Follow-Up, and welcome to the blogosphere too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thanks for commenting. I feel like I know you from following your blog. You have inspired me!

      Delete